The most important thing to keep in mind when planning storage is to make a list of all items to be stored and number them. This includes contents of boxes, furniture, appliances etc.
Items you will need:
- Locks to secure your unit.
- Strong, sturdy boxes.
- Shipping grade adhesive tape.
- Packing materials such as bubble wrap & newspaper.
Keep in mind:
- Use good quality boxes and containers – smaller boxes are best for heavier goods and are easier to fit and lift.
- Label the boxes and containers clearly; colour coding work very well.
- Fill boxes to maximum capacity so they don’t collapse – fill unused spaces with packing material or balled newspaper.
- Loose, fragile items such as mirrors, pictures, paintings, glass should be bubble wrapped and stored with edges upright.
- To prevent scratches, wrap table and chair legs.
- Cover couches and soft furnishings with cloth or plastic sheets to protect against dust.
- Boxes can be stacked onto dressers and cupboards – ensure that the tops are covered with cloth or plastic sheets to prevent scratching.
- FRAGILE: Wrap all crockery individually and clearly mark the boxes.
- Textiles and books are best preserved by placing a moth ball in each container.
- Fridges & freezers are to be defrosted at least 2 days before storing. Leave the doors open for moisture to escape.
- Put heavy items at the back, forming a solid base. Then place items in the order you will need to access, labels facing forward.
- Stack chairs seat to seat and place cloth in between to prevent scratches.
- Do not place heavy items on top of soft furnishings as they will leave unsightly indentations.
- Place table tops facing down and use the underside space for stacking.
- Avoid leaning furniture against the storage unit walls to allow for ventilation.
- Stack similar sized boxes together – the fragile ones on top.
- Clean gardening equipment first before storing.
- No provision is made for storing perishables and flammables.
- Store vehicles and boats with empty fuel tanks.
- Please give us 14 days notice of vacating your storage unit.
- Remove all goods before the 1st of the following month to avoid a new billing cycle.
- Leave the unit clean with the door open.
- Make a last-minute inspection with the site manager to ensure no disputes over damages.
- Remember to retrieve your lock.